Toryglen Parish Church History
There has been a Church of Scotland Congregation in Toryglen since the estate began to be built in the early 1950’s. The first services were held in the workmen’s hut in Kerrylamont Ave. There was no church hall at that time. We then had our own Hut Hall, where Thistle Housing is today.
The congregation worked hard and the foundation stone in the North wall, was laid in May 1953. The opening dedication service in September 1954 was broadcast by the BBC. Over the years, Toryglen Parish Church has received donations from groups and people.
Toryglen Parish Church pictures early 50’s
Toryglen Parish Church History: 60-year-old footage
The first Kirk Session was made up from Elders from Kingspark Church.
Our first minister, Andrew Gordon was with us from the opening to 1982. We then had a Locum, Thomson Revel, until Stuart McQuarrie became the minister in 1984. After Stuart, Keith Ross joined us in the 1990s. When Keith moved on, Marshall Gibson became our Locum until Sandra Black became the minister from 2003 till June 2013. We had a Locum Minister from June 2013 till November 2015. Our most recent minister is Rev. Ada MacLeod. She was inducted to the charge on 1 December 2015.
Toryglen Parish Church’s First Kirk Session
Andrew Gordon (approx. 1953)
Recently the hall has been leased to Thistle Housing Association on a long term nominal rent to be run by Toryglen Community Trust for the benefit of the local community. Toryglen Community Trust is made up if people from the congregation and the wider community.
Extensive refurbishment work has recently been done on the hall and it has been updated inside and out. A community cafe also now runs from the premises – look out for new events running now.
The church building also has had extensive refurbishment work done to mend the ravages of 50 years wear and tear. This was possible due to generous grants from The Church of Scotland General Trustees, The Baird Trust and The Fergusson Bequest.